Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cinematic Genius


For my 50th blog entry, I’d like to write about one of the greatest and truly heart-wrenching moments in Spain thus far: seeing Titanic in 3D. Although it’s obviously that they only re-released the movie in 3D to make even more piles of money, it was of course the greatest thing to happen in cinema (apart from the original release), and actually really impressive to feel like you were in all the scenes—not to mention having Leo’s beautiful face popping out of the screen so close to you. Even the Spanish dubbing didn’t ruin the romance or the tension, although “acariciame, Jack” doesn’t have quite the ring to it as “put your hands on me, Jack,” and translates more directly as “fondle me,” a command which sounds sort of odd coming from such a respectable woman like Rose (or coming from literally anyone, in fact).
Titanic has always been my favorite movie, so it was so amazing that I got to return to view it in a theater. My parents brought me to see it when it first came out in 1997 (Can we question the parenting choices here? I was six years old and cried every time I got on a ferry for a few years after that), but I was not quite at an age to enjoy it then, to say the least. It’s amazing—Titanic might be the only movie that I can watch over and over again and still feel so many emotions (and it’s saying something when you actually have the desire to watch a 3+ hour movie more than once). Props, James Cameron. You did it again.
I also must say that I spent the consecutive two nights watching Youtube videos about the behind-the-scenes, deleted scenes, actor interviews, survivor stories ….Obsessed? Hopefully it comes out in another level of D every 10 years, so I can continue to see it in theaters every so often. Titanic in 7D could be truly epic. 



2 comments:

  1. Six years old!? What were we thinking?!

    James Cameron is by all accounts a difficult person, but I do love this movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. acaricame jack! lol. how did they translate "to the stars?" or "tea trudy" my two favorite lines?

    ReplyDelete