Sunday, September 11, 2011

El Piso Perfecto

I’ve been so busy that I am late in writing this, but last week I finally found a great piso (apartment)! After one month in the residence halls here, we all move into apartments, homestays, or different residence halls. Almost everyone is choosing to find their own piso with other Spanish or international students.
Finding a piso here seems like it would be easy, because everywhere you go there are tons of little fliers advertising available pisos for students. However, most places here are not super nice, and almost all pisos have a limiting factor: the bedroom is dark or only has an interior window, the people smoke in the common areas, there are workers (not students) living there, the neighborhood is not nice, it’s too expensive, etc.
Piso hunting is the hot topic of conversation in our group. Nine times out of ten, if someone opens their mouth to say something to you, you can bet it will have something to do with finding an apartment. I am so tired of it!!
I was spending every day during siesta for a week going out and looking at places. I looked at 15 pisos before I found mine, and out of those 15 I only saw 2 that I liked. But then I called a number from a tiny little flier on the street, visited that piso, and decided right then that I wanted it!
The location could not be better. It is 10 steps from the front of the Catedral, the very city center. It is on a tiny little alleyway, and my bedroom has a window and little balcony that overlooks it. It is centered between two main plazas. It was being remodeled as I saw it, so it is a very new apartment in an old, charming building. There are four rooms, and two are occupied by an Italian girl and a Swiss girl. My only hope is that the owner finds a Spanish girl!!

The kitchen in my piso

Ten steps from this view!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment