Friday, September 16, 2011

La Alhambra y Generalife


Today we went on a guided visit to La Alhambra and Generalife, the surrounding gardens. Our history professor, Paco, led my group, and he is simply the greatest man ever, not to mention a very intelligent historian. Here he is!


Of course I have heard over and over again when I mentioned to people that I am going to Granada, “Oh, you have to see the Alhambra!!” Well, apparently every other person in the entire world has heard that too, judging by the throngs of tourists. Paco said that more than two million people visit the Alhambra each year, and with good reason. It was the palace of the last Muslim ruler in Spain, before the Christians reconquered the entire country in 1492. Most cities in Spain, at least in Andalusia (Southern Spain), include some sort of Muslim fortress, called an Alcazaba. But Granada’s Alhambra is so impressive because it contains an Alcazaba, a Muslim palace, and a Christian palace all in one. Not to mention Generalife, some of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen (constructed many centuries after the actual Alhambra).


 La Torre de Vela (Defense Tour)


The Alhambra is the most visited attraction in Spain, and I am proud to say that I can look up onto the hill and see it any day that I please! From most of the lookouts on top of the Alhambra you can see the entire city of Granada and the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It is unreal.


An incredible view of the Albaicín from the Alhambra

My Spanish friend Amalia! She works in the UC Study Center's office.

The ancient wall surrounding the Muslim city

The gardens that accompany the Alhambra are breathtaking. Plus it didn’t hurt that these are the first flowers/signs of nature I’ve seen in my three weeks in this city. I’ll probably have to pay admission to this place every so often to be reminded that trees and flowers still exist!
 I went way too crazy with scenery photos here but this way you can see Generalife without flying out to Spain!!






Every tourist needs a typical flower close-up



Not many people can say they have such a sight in their backyard. Granadinos are so lucky. I’m working on obtaining my lifelong Visa. Does anyone have a European cousin??


No comments:

Post a Comment