Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Family Chronicles: Part II


After my sister and I spent a week in Granada by ourselves while our parents were hiking in the Pyrenees, we took an overnight bus to reunite with them in San Sebastian, part of the Basque Country in the north of Spain. I was particularly excited for this because I’d heard from everyone I’ve talked to how beautiful the north is, how different it is from Andalusia, and how great the food is there. I was certainly not disappointed.
            We arrived after a 12-hour bus ride, which somehow felt two hours long since I managed to sleep most of the way. Something about moving vehicles makes me pass out almost immediately. When I finally awoke we were driving through lush green countryside, which in Eastern Andalusia simply doesn’t exist. It reminded me so much of West Marin that I felt like our 12-hour journey had actually been a flight back to California.
            As my parents had not yet arrived from the mountains, Katie and I checked into the hotel and then headed straight to the beach, which was absolutely picturesque. Perfect sand, shallow turquoise water, and beautiful surrounding hills. San Sebastian is situated around a cove, so the water is really calm and warmer than the actual Atlantic. After spending some nice time tanning and swimming we went off in search of pinchos, the Basque version of Tapas. Pinchos are renowned for being some of the best cuisine in the world (here I’m quoting Anthony Bourdain yet again), and although I’ll say they’re no burrito, there is something thrilling in the fact that you walk into any bar and there are at least twenty different varieties of bite-sized plates laid out before your eyes, ready for you to point at and eat immediately. I felt like a child in a candy store, only instead of sugary treats I was surrounded by lots of exotic fish and meat that looked questionable but tasted great.
            The next day the whole family went on a walk to a hill overlooking the entire city. Then Katie and I decided to cut the hike short and return to the beach, because once you get a taste of heaven it’s hard to do much else. We got so lucky with the weather while we were there—normally it rains a lot in the north, but we were blessed with 80 degree sunshine, perfect for swimming. I’ll wrap up the San Sebastian part now, since in reality we did little more than eat, sleep, and swim, which I’m starting to realize is my idea of a perfect vacation.



 

            The next day we drove an hour west to Bilbao, still part of Basque Country. While the rest of my family spent hours in the Guggenheim Museum, I walked all around the town, exploring the old parts of the city and a grassy park perched on a hill overlooking everything. As the museum is really the attraction of this city, there’s not too much to relay about Bilbao, except that it had a feeling I really liked—industrial but on the upswing.
            We spent that night, as well as the next two nights, in a tiny little village in the province of Cantabria, called Santillana del Mar. This is, according to the not-so-trustworthy Lonely Planet guide, “the most picturesque village in Spain.” The authors weren’t far from the mark this time, as Santillana is a beautifully preserved medieval village complete with rolling hills and grazing livestock in the background. There were about twenty shops and restaurants in the whole place, so needless to say the time we spent there was very relaxing. On the first day we visited the nearby Altamira and Castillo caves with some of the first discovered cave paintings in Spain. In the latter we actually got to go deep inside the original cave and see the sketches first-hand, and the Spanish guide talked about a word a minute and made me feel really great about my level of comprehension. Actually my parents even understood about 85% of what he said and they’ve never even taken a Spanish lesson.
The most shocking part of the whole experience was not seeing 30,000+ year-old art, but rather the fact that my Stanford-educated father proceeded to ask the guide (after we had already been on the tour for half an hour): “Hay paleolíticos aquí?” (Literally: are there paleolithics here?) What he meant to ask was if Paleolithic humans came that far back into the cave, as we were very deep in, but the language barrier presented such problems that even the guide looked at my dad like he had severe mental issues. I, in turn, swiftly melted into the group of other tourists and pretended I was in no way associated, as I was expecting the guide to say any minute,  “Um, who do you think we’ve been talking about for the better part of an hour? Have you been missing the entire concept that these paintings were made by really really old people? Or did you mean, are there Paleolithic people here at this very moment? Yes, in fact, at the end of the tour we get to meet the very artists themselves!” My poor dad, as if he didn’t take enough brutal jokes from my sister and I on the duration of the trip, he now appears in my blog. But it’s my duty to report my favorite memories from my year abroad, and also all brilliant people are allowed an occasional slip—especially if they’re making it in Spanish. Love ya daddy!
            That afternoon, as though suffering sufficient humiliation was not brutal enough, we all went to Santillana’s only attraction: the torture museum. It’s an odd paradox that this seemed to be one of the first times we all truly meshed well as a family on the trip; maybe the presence of skull-crushing devices, human melting pots and body-spearing poles made us realize how fortunate we all were to have each other. We soon realized, however, that this torture museum was no joke, and the light mood in which we entered was very quickly erased, to the point where the paella I had for lunch was not sitting so well with me after reading the last of 100 descriptions of torture. What is wrong with the human race? In the first place we inflict torture. In the second we establish museums devoted to torture, and in the third place we then pay to see them.



The adorable town of Santillana del Mar

            The next day Katie and I opted to skip the grueling mountain trek that my parents headed off to, and we caught a bus to the beach instead. After the water of San Sebastian I was dying for more, and Cantabria’s beaches didn’t disappoint. If Santa Barbara’s beaches were anything like northern Spain’s, I would surely have gone swimming more than twice in my 2 years there.
            The last day of the trip we drove to Segovia, which has the most famous Roman aqueduct in all of Spain. It truly was a sight, and even though there’s not too much going on in that sleepy city, I’ll say that it was one of my favorite places I’ve been to in Spain because of the ancient structure. We had a last family dinner in the Plaza Mayor and then got ready to head our separate ways in the morning.


            Although my heart will always lie with Andalusia, the north of Spain is absolutely beautiful and I’m so glad I got the chance to see it. The second half of the trip was overall really great, as I think the initial bumps of traveling with my family after 9 months of independence wore off a bit. I truly am so grateful that they came to visit me, even if I have a bit too sarcastic way of expressing it on my blog! Also it was so great to see my sister for 3 weeks and get along with her in a way that I would have never thought possible in our middle-school and high-school days. It only took 10 years of rocky adolescence for us to treat each other humanely again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment