Friday, March 30, 2012

Third Time's A Charm

I’m sitting on my own private terrace in my new room, one door away from some of my best friends in Granada, soaking in everything that just happened in one short day. Out of the blue Luc told me yesterday that his next-door neighbors (same floor of the same building) had an empty room in their piso, and were looking for somebody. For a while now I’ve been feeling like I’ve been missing out a bit on the living situation, as I felt a little isolated in my piso only living with one other person. I wanted my year abroad to be filled with tons of different people and experiences. Without any real intentions to act on it, I decided to see the empty piso out of pure curiosity. This soon turned into much more, as I fell in love with it as Piedad (one of my new roommates) showed me all the rooms. The minute that I saw that the vacant room had it’s own private balcony, I was pretty much sold. I pictured myself tanning, reading, eating, sleeping, and pretty much spending the majority of my life on that little terrace in the Spring and Summer. Also the piso is cheaper, right next door to friends, and shared with three Spanish girls—pretty much every foreigner’s dream. Pitu (Piedad) was so incredibly friendly while showing me around, and what’s more, I already have confirmation from Luc and his roommates that the neighbor’s (my new pisomates) are really friendly, since they had a potluck together last week.
So yes, I’m that girl who has now lived in three different apartments in Granada.. I’m like Ross from friends—divorced three times. But the way I see it, better to move to make yourself happier than stay and wonder what if, or worse, spend my last four months in Granada missing out on what could have been (and hopefully will be!) a truly memorable living experience.
I decided that night to move. Of course telling Neivar was very difficult and I’m not going to go into it here, but everything happened very fast and the next morning Rafa helped me move all my stuff. I felt simply elated, as Pitu and Guada (another pisomate) showed me the ins and outs of my new home. Some things I’m especially excited about, besides my balcony and living with three Spaniards, is the big living room (since I really like having people over for dinner, etc) and the spa-sized bath tub in one of the bathrooms. I’ve always been a shower person, but a girl can change.
The day kept getting better. After Rafa helped me move all my stuff and settle me into my new room (did I mention I have such amazing friends here???), I walked two steps out my front door and grabbed Luc and Cecile. The four of us set off to Alina’s house, where we met Alina and Javi for a MEXICAN feast! It must be symbolic that I moved on the day we planned to cook my favorite cuisine.

Cecile, Luc, and Rafa making guacamole
Javi, ¡por fin sales!

While there is nothing that beats actual Mexican food from at least West of the Atlantic, our fajitas were not half bad. The Coronas, guacamole and chocolate cake didn’t hurt either!

I know I’ve started to sound like a broken record, but there is really nothing better than sitting with friends around a table for hours and hours on end, eating and drinking and laughing until no sound comes out. I feel like I hit the jackpot today.
Cambio y corto. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fabulous! Can't wait to see it, and to meet your new friends.

    ReplyDelete